Home-School Reading Partnership
It is very important for your child to develop as a good reader, and your help at home is a vital part of this.
Please try to read with your child regularly, every day if possible, for about 10 – 20 minutes.
Your child will bring home several books each week. They may have already read some of these books in a ‘guided reading’ lesson; others will be their own choice.
If your child is unsure of a word, don’t tell them straight away, but let them HAVE A GO at using the different ways they have been taught to work these out, for example:
- look at the pictures
- put the sounds of the word together
- think about what would make sense.
Please TALK to your child during or after reading about what they have read to make sure they understand. You could ask:
- What sort of book is it? (story, poem, information)
- Who was their favourite character?
- What do they think will happen next?
- What have they learnt from the book
Brilliant Books to share at home: